I’ve always had a deep fascination for crime scene investigations. Being merely 12, I recall writing a report of a girl who got brutally raped and killed in the back of a van (my Dad was very unhappy of my interest, he claimed I was filling my brain with horrendous ideas). I also once stayed on the elliptical for 3 hours at the gym thanks to those intriguing real life murder documentaries. It’s that suspense, that thrill and the analyzing that won my heart over. I once dreamt of being a forensic psychologist, but that quickly faded.
Serial killers: single person murders, much more selective in who they kill, may spend months looking for the right candidate, can have cooling off periods between murders, aim to remain undetected and can go killing for years
Mass murderers: single killing spree normally before being caught by police or committing suicide (e.g. Virginia Tech shooting, Boston Marathon Bombing, etc.), kill numerous of people as opposed to just one
Nakedkaw.avvo.com and listverse.com dive into the commonly found traits amongst mass murderers, serial killers and other extremely violent individuals:
1) Average serial killer is a white male from a lower-to-middle upbringing. Over 90% of serial killers are men
2) Most serial killers are in their 20s or 30s
3) Most mast murderers are single or divorced
4) As children, soon-to-be serial killers often torture animals; 99% have admitted to acting out violent fantasies on animals before doing so to humans. Since families were dysfunctional, no one noticed the odd behavior. Jeffrey Dahmer’s father was unmoved by the fact this his young son’s hobby was dissecting animals
5) More than 60% of serial killers went bed beyond age of 12; this is demeaning to a child as they will most likely be ridiculed therefore, taking out frustration on animals or by using fire
6) According to the A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers , many serial killers are obsessed with starting fires. Ottis Toole, George Adorno, and Carl Panzram are just a few of the many serial killers with a childhood history of arson.
7) Many mass murderers and serial killers have a high IQ. For example, the Unabomber is a genius.
8) A lot of come from dysfunctional families with no fathers. Marc Lepine (mass murderer of 14 people) is one of the examples of fatherless serial killers.
9) Many serial killers suffered through childhood abuse. “The Boston Strangler” Albert DeSalvo was even sold off as a slave by his alcoholic father. 46% never finish high school as abuse leads to: social isolation, learning difficulties, self control issues and seizures
10) Serial killers often have a history of attempted suicide. Charles Edmund Cullen, the most prolific serial killer in the history of New Jersey, has 20 attempted suicides in his life.
11) Mass murderers are often loners who have very few social connections; most don’t have meaningful relationships during childhood so lack capability to form them later on. Their anti-social tendencies act up, they show aggression, stealing, usage of dangerous weapons, and disregard for other’s rights
12) Obsessive masturbation– to cure their needs as they hardly ever experienced sex
Does anyone else have a love for learning about these gruesome facts? Do you have any other facts to add? What’s the craziest murder story you’ve ever heard?