School tragedy: A 14-year-old boy from Wuhan, surnamed Zhang, jumped from a school building and fell to his death on Thursday, reports Global Times.
- Zhang is a ninth-grader at No. 1 Middle School in the Jiangxia District.
- The school’s headteacher summoned the boy’s parents for a meeting after he was caught playing poker.
- Surveillance footage in the school building’s hallway later showed the mother slapping the boy twice on the face after the meeting.
- Shortly after, the mother went home, leaving Zhang standing silently for three minutes.
- The boy then climbed over the railing on the fifth floor and jumped to his death.
- Passing students were seen attempting to stop him.
Trending topic: The boy’s death, which has sparked an investigation by local education and judicial authorities, has also caused a heated online debate on Chinese social media.
- On Weibo, news about the incident has attracted hundreds of millions of views.
- Some users noted that parents should not shame their children by beating them in public.
- Meanwhile, others countered that parents should not take all the blame as teens often struggle psychologically and are swayed by extreme emotions.
- There are also commenters who asked people to refrain from criticizing the mother who is now grieving the loss of her son.
Feature Image via 随便聊聊啊